Strategic Planning and Performance Management: Delivery
The agency uses a systematic strategic planning and performance management process to drive progress toward its priorities and deliver results, called Delivery. This group's sole purpose is to ensure the agency is delivering on its priorities, and thus to promote transformational change in student achievement.
Agency Strategic Plan
Strategic Plan Summary
ESE's goal is to prepare all students for success after high school. To help us reach this goal, DESE has established five strategies:
- Strengthen curriculum, instruction, and assessment
- Improve educator effectiveness
- Support social-emotional learning, health, and safety
- Turn around the lowest performing districts and schools
- Enhance resource allocation and data use
What Is Delivery?
Delivery aims to answer four questions:
- What is our agency trying to do?
- How are we planning to do it?
- At any given moment, how will we know whether we are on track?
- If not, what are we going to do about it?
The delivery unit helps plan and monitor progress towards our agency-wide priorities that will ultimately increase student achievement. With the help of the delivery unit, agency staff members determine reform strategies, set targets and milestones for programs, identify and involve relevant stakeholders, write strategic plans and work plans, and are held accountable to deliver results. Once plans are in place, the delivery unit tracks progress, identifies challenges, solves problems early and rigorously, and keeps the Commissioner and other agency leadership informed of both progress and challenges.
Agency Performance Targets
We measure our success based upon our ability to improve outcomes across public education. The targets presented below are grouped by the audience for which we expect to see this success. The strategic planning and performance management unit regularly monitors our progress towards meeting these targets and helps identify bright spots and initiate course corrections when necessary.
- Four- and five-year graduation rates
- Rigorous high school program of study (MassCore) completion rate
- Reading, mathematics, and science performance on state, national, and international assessments
- Performance on state, national, and international assessments for historically underperforming groups of students
- Achievement and growth in Level 3, 4, and 5 schools and districts
- Student participation in high quality college and career pathways
- Effective educators in districts and schools
- Performance on state assessments among students taught by teachers in their first years
- Retention of highly effective educators
- Number of teachers on license waivers
|Postsecondary and Adult Students|
- Postsecondary enrollment and persistence
- Adult learning gains
- Developmental coursework enrollment, i.e. remedial courses
Performance Targets across the Education Secretariat (Early Education, K-12 Education, and Higher Education)
In accordance with Chapter 6A of the General Laws, and at the direction of our Governor, the agencies of Executive Office of Education have identified several important outcome metrics and targets, which we will use to monitor and improve the state's services.