Office of Educator Licensure


Sheltered English Immersion Endorsements (SEI)

To qualify for a first Initial license in Massachusetts as a; core academic teacher, principal/assistant principal, or supervisor/director, an educator must hold a Sheltered English Immersion endorsement. This page clarifies, who must hold the endorsement, how to earn the endorsement, and how to apply for the SEI endorsement. It also includes links to the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education’s RETELL website where you can go for additional information/resources.

Autism Endorsement for Educator Licensure

The autism endorsement is a voluntary endorsement indicating that the educator has acquired specialized knowledge and skill enabling them to meet the unique and complex educational needs of students on the Autism Spectrum.

Transition Specialist Endorsement

A transition specialist provides transition services to students with disabilities with Individualized Education Programs (IEPs). The endorsement provides recognition of a particular set of skills and knowledge in relation to transitioning to adult life for students with IEPs.

Contact Us

Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
75 Pleasant Street, Malden, MA 02148-4906

Voice: (781) 338-3000
TTY: (800) 439-2370


Disclaimer: A reference in this website to any specific commercial products, processes, or services, or the use of any trade, firm, or corporation name is for the information and convenience of the public and does not constitute endorsement or recommendation by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.