Office for Food and Nutrition Programs
Wellness Initiative for Student Success
|From:||Kathleen C. Millett, Executive Director|
Office for Nutrition, Health & Safety
|Date:||March 24, 2015|
The Department of Elementary & Secondary Education, in partnership with the Department of Public Health, is pleased to provide the Wellness Initiative for Student Success training opportunity. School Wellness Teams interested in participating in this initiative will receive hands-on training and technical assistance support including the tools necessary to support and advance efforts that result in a healthier nutrition and physical activity environment for your students and staff.
This hands-on, multi-session experience guides school Wellness Teams through a process from needs assessment to a celebration of success. Throughout the journey, Wellness Teams will utilize the School Health Index, the SmarterLunchrooms Scorecard, and the Comprehensive School Physical Activity Program continuum. Attached to this letter is the Wellness Initiative for Student Success Program Elements, an outline of the sessions included as a part of this Initiative. At the completion, participating schools will have the tools necessary to apply for HealthierUS School Challenge and Let's Move Active Schools recognition.
- 3-5 Wellness Team members per school1
- Participation in all sessions (see attached)
- Submit current Local Wellness Policy
- Completion of the School Health Index2
- Completion of the SmarterLunchrooms Scorecard and commitment to implement 10 new strategies from the Scorecard
- Completion of the Comprehensive School Physical Activity Program Training
- Completion of an Action Plan that results in changes to the nutrition and physical activity environment
- Share program outcomes and strategies
- All participating schools must sign a letter of commitment to participate in the process
- Wellness Team participants must, at minimum, include a school nutrition manager or director, school administrator, and a physical education teacher
Registration: Please identify your Wellness Team members participating in this training and register.
We look forward to your participation in this important initiative. If you have questions, please contact Holly Alperin at 781-338-6308 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wellness Initiative for Student Success Program Elements
1 District Wellness Teams with a commitment to change in multiple schools will be discussed individually
2 Schools completing the School Health Index in the last 12 months may use those results for this initiative