Curriculum for Accelerated Math (CAM) Pilot Program Teacher Application- Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
Adult and Community Learning Services (ACLS)
Curriculum for Accelerated Math (CAM) Pilot Program Teacher Application
July 13, 2017
Dear Program Administrator,
An exciting new math curriculum has been developed by a team of math professionals at the SABES PD Center for Mathematics and Adult Numeracy. It is ready to be piloted at a few select programs in Massachusetts. ACLS and SABES invite adult education teachers to consider applying for this pilot study, which will begin September 1, 2017 and run through the March 31, 2018.
Please distribute the attached invitation and application to creative and energetic teachers who will be teaching math (NRS Educational Math Functioning Levels 2, 3, 4, or 5) in the coming year. The application deadline is 5 p.m. on Friday, August 4, 2017.
The Curriculum for Accelerated Math (CAM) is a high-intensity course designed to take a multilevel group of students through the conceptual understanding behind the math topics needed for successful completion of the HSE, ACCUPLACER, and/or work-related exams (such as WorkKeys). This curriculum:
- is aligned to the CCRSAE;
- reflects the CCRSAE mathematics instructional shifts (i.e., focus, coherence, rigor) with particular emphasis on building a foundation of conceptual understanding;
- explicitly incorporates the Standards for Mathematical Practice into units and lessons;
- promotes a classroom environment characterized by student discussion, productive struggle with challenging non-routine problems, and the development of a growth mindset;
- accelerates student progress through HSE credential attainment in preparation for success in postsecondary education and/or training; and
- prepares students to be problem-solvers and not simply test-takers.
Thank you for your help in getting the word out to those who might be interested. Please email Donna Curry or Heidi Schuler with any questions you may have about the application or the CAM project.
State Administrator and Chief Examiner
High School Equivalency Office
Department of Elementary and Secondary Education