Student Assessment Update: May 22, 2018- Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System
Student Assessment Update: May 22, 2018
MCAS Service Center
for logistical and technology support, including questions about PearsonAccess Next and TestNav
Student Assessment Services
for policy questions, including student participation
Latest Updates from Student Assessment Services
Spring 2018 Grades 3–8 Computer-Based MCAS Preliminary Embargoed Data Files
On June 4, schools that administered grades 3–8 computer-based tests (CBT) will have access to the following student-level preliminary raw-score results in PearsonAccess Next (PAN):
- selected-response items for grades 3–8 ELA;
- selected-response & short-answer items for grades 3–8 math; and
- multiple-choice items for grades 5 and 8 STE
The files can be accessed in PAN by District and School Test Coordinators under Reports > Published Reports and will include students' earned raw score for each item and total raw score points for each reporting category. For more information, please see the April 24 Student Assessment Update.
Other grades 3–8 materials that will be available on the MCAS Resource Center (under the Released Items tab) on June 5, include the following:
- a pre-populated file of statewide preliminary results by grade and subject for machine-scored CBT items to facilitate analysis of grades 3–8 data
- CBT released items and item descriptions on which the preliminary grades 3–8 results are based
The Department will host a WebEx on June 5 from 10:00 a.m.–11:30 a.m. to share information on the preliminary reporting schedule, available data in each round of release, as well as a demonstration of a new template for district and school test item analysis. Principals, MCAS test coordinators, and data specialists are encouraged to participate. Registration is available online until Friday, June 1.
Reporting ACCESS for ELLs Test Results
On or about May 30, schools should expect to receive a shipment of ACCESS for ELLs printed reports. ACCESS results will also be available electronically as follows:
- reports in WIDA AMS on or about May 30
- student data files (CSV) in DropBoxes (on the Department's security portal) on or about June 21 (without SGPA, Yes/No progress and attainment indicators) and July 13 (with SGPA, Yes/No progress and attainment indicators)
- ACCESS for ELLs School and District Summaries (EL327) and Student Rosters (EL627) in Edwin Analytics on or about June 28 (without progress) and July 20 (with progress)
The Department sent schools an EL Assessment Update on May 16 with further information regarding the release of ACCESS for ELLs Results.
Online MCAS Questionnaire for Schools on Computer-Based Testing
To help the Department evaluate the testing experience and determine how it can be improved, school and district staff who were involved in MCAS computer-based testing are invited to respond to a questionnaire.
The questionnaire is online, and principals are asked to share this link with their test administration teams. All responses should be submitted by June 15.
We thank you in advance for your input.
- May 25: Last day for grades 3–8 Mathematics and STE administration
- May 29–June 15: Administration of high school Biology and Introductory Physics Question Tryouts
- May 29, 3:00 p.m.: (Grades 3–8) Last day to complete the PCPA after testing; update students' accommodations in PearsonAccess Next, if necessary; mark students' tests complete, if necessary; and schedule UPS pickup of Mathematics and STE PBT materials
- May 30: Last day for UPS pickup of Mathematics and STE PBT materials for grades 3–8
- May 30: Districts receive ACCESS for ELLs score reports (printed and online)
- May 30: Last day for Grade 10 Mathematics make-up testing
- May 31, 3:00 p.m.: Last day to complete the PCPA and schedule UPS pickup for Grade 10 Mathematics
- June 1: Last day for Grade 10 Mathematics UPS pickup
- June 4, 12:00 p.m.: Deadline to complete the PCPA for high school STE (Materials Received section); report packing discrepancies, if necessary; and order additional materials, if necessary
- June 13, 3:00 p.m.: Last day to complete the PCPA and schedule UPS pickup for high school STE
- June 14: Last day for UPS pickup for high school STE
- June 18: Last day to complete the PCPA for high school STE question tryouts after testing; update students' accommodations in PearsonAccess Next, if necessary; and mark students' tests complete, if necessary
April 24 "Office Hours" Training Session on End of Testing and Reporting Timeline
Principals, MCAS test coordinators, special education directors, and EL program directors automatically receive this Student Assessment Update based on contact information submitted to the Department. To change your email address or to add another staff member who serves in one of these roles, please follow the instructions below:
- Public school districts, public schools, charter public schools, educational collaboratives, and approved private special education schools: submit the new email address to your District-Level Directory Administrator.
- Test sites, adult education programs, out-of-state schools, SEIS-DYS programs: go online to the EOE Information Technology web page (select "District/School Information Update" as the subject) to submit your update (be sure to include your District and School Code).
For others who wish to subscribe, email with the following information in the email@example.com of the email: "subscribe SASUpdate Your_Name" (Example: subscribe SASUpdate John_Smith). To unsubscribe, send an email to the same address with the following information in the body: "unsubscribe SASUpdate."
In addition, ESE sends occasional communications regarding state policies that affect educators, parents, and other community stakeholders, as well as opportunities for community members to participate in state initiatives. Please visit our newsletter sign-up page if you are interested in receiving other news and information from the Department.
We welcome your questions and feedback at . Thank you. firstname.lastname@example.org