Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System
Student Assessment Update: June 5, 2018
|MCAS Service Center||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org||Phone: 800-737-5103|
|for logistical and technology support, including questions about PearsonAccess Next and TestNav|
|Student Assessment Services||Email: email@example.com||Phone: 781-338-3625|
|for policy questions, including student participation|
Latest Updates from Student Assessment Services
2018 Preliminary MCAS-Alt Results Available June 11
Portfolio Feedback Forms (PFFs) containing preliminary MCAS-Alt results will be available in PDF format in each school's DropBox in the Security Portal on June 11. The principal or test coordinator may download and share the PFFs with each teacher in the school who compiled one or more MCAS-Alt portfolios. If you need assistance logging in, please see your district or organization Directory Administrator. Student portfolios will be returned to the school in early September with a print copy of each PFF.
MCAS-Alt Score Appeals
Once preliminary results have been reviewed, a principal or other designee may submit an MCAS-Alt score appeal if there is evidence that the portfolio was scored incorrectly. The deadline for score appeal submission is 5:00 p.m. on Friday, June 22, 2018. Score appeals will not be accepted after this date and no changes to an MCAS-Alt score can be made after the score appeal process.
The following materials must be reviewed by the school before submitting a score appeal:
- the Portfolio Feedback Form (PFF) from the scored portfolio (available as described above);
- the photocopy of the portfolio kept at the school to demonstrate that the score on the PFF does not represent the accurate score, and;
- the frequently asked questions about MCAS-Alt score appeals.
To submit an MCAS-Alt score appeal, log into the 2018 MCAS-Alt score appeal website and follow the instructions on the appeal application. Once submitted, an email will be sent to the administrator confirming receipt.
Please note that additional portfolio evidence may not be submitted and will not be accepted with the school's appeal. Notification of appeal results will be provided by mail in late July.
Reminder: Online MCAS Survey for Schools on Computer-Based Testing
The Department appreciates all the input received thus far on the survey for school and district staff regarding MCAS computer-based testing. As a reminder for schools and districts collecting feedback from their teams, the survey will close on June 15.
Reminder: Spring 2018 Grades 3–8 Computer-Based MCAS Preliminary Embargoed Data Files
As reported in the April 24 Student Assessment Update, schools that administered grades 3–8 computer-based tests (CBT) received access on June 4 to the following student-level preliminary raw-score results in PearsonAccess Next (PAN):
- selected-response items for grades 3–8 ELA;
- selected-response & short-answer items for grades 3–8 math; and
- multiple-choice items for grades 5 and 8 STE
Other grades 3–8 materials that are now available on the MCAS Resource Center (under the Released Items tab) include the following:
- a pre-populated file of statewide preliminary results by grade and subject for machine-scored CBT items to facilitate analysis of grades 3–8 data
- CBT released items and item descriptions on which the preliminary grades 3–8 results are based
- June 6: Administer Session 1 of the MCAS high school STE tests
- June 7: Administer Session 2 of the MCAS high school STE tests
- June 13, 3:00 p.m.: Last day to complete the PCPA and schedule UPS pickup for high school STE
- June 13: Last day for make-up testing for MCAS high school STE tests
- June 14: Last day for UPS pickup for high school STE
Principals, MCAS test coordinators, special education directors, and EL program directors automatically receive this Student Assessment Update based on contact information submitted to the Department. To change your email address or to add another staff member who serves in one of these roles, please follow the instructions below:
- Public school districts, public schools, charter public schools, educational collaboratives, and approved private special education schools: submit the new email address to your District-Level Directory Administrator.
- Test sites, adult education programs, out-of-state schools, SEIS-DYS programs: go online to the EOE Information Technology web page (select "District/School Information Update" as the subject) to submit your update (be sure to include your District and School Code).
For others who wish to subscribe, email with the following information in the firstname.lastname@example.org of the email: "subscribe SASUpdate Your_Name" (Example: subscribe SASUpdate John_Smith). To unsubscribe, send an email to the same address with the following information in the body: "unsubscribe SASUpdate."
In addition, ESE sends occasional communications regarding state policies that affect educators, parents, and other community stakeholders, as well as opportunities for community members to participate in state initiatives. Please visit our newsletter sign-up page if you are interested in receiving other news and information from the Department.
We welcome your questions and feedback at . Thank you. email@example.com
Last Updated: June 6, 2018