Save The Dates: MA DESE Experienced Directors of Special Education Leadership Institute & Community of Practice: 2018-2019
Deadline to register: Close of business August 2, 2018.
August 21–22, September 24–25, November 15,
February 27–28, April 3
Come join this year's Directors' Institute 2018-19 Cohort and become a member of the Community of Practice of previous years' Institute participants.
- Become part of a cohort of experienced special education directors that will become friends and go-to colleagues
- Discuss topics and issues of interest with colleagues and experts in the field to gain new insights and support
- Engage in dialogue with Russell Johnston and other MA DESE leaders
- Receive free books, materials, and resources to support your role as a leader
- Tackle your own problem of practice through a Capstone Project with strategies and support from the Institute, colleagues and facilitators
Comments from Prior Years' Participants:
It is so important to have a community of practice of like-minded professionals. Special Education Director position is a very lonely and isolating position.
I have joined these cohorts since 2008 and have developed a strong networking group. Some members have become dear friends.
I think the activities were really great. I started using the Educational Benefit activity, and I did my first group last week. It was amazing: the discussions that were happening, and the ah-ha moments from staff. That activity just was so wonderful in terms of taking it back and having people try it.
The structures the facilitators provided and the different tools and methodologies they offered were helpful in terms of thinking about our problems of practice in your setting.
The partner and group work provided opportunity to deepen my understanding of the concepts being discussed and the opportunity to brainstorm how to bring the concepts into practice.
For more information contact:
Susan Villani , Senior Program/Research Associate
WestEd, Learning Innovations Program
Last Updated: June 29, 2018