Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System
Student Assessment Update: September 13, 2018
|MCAS Service Center||Email: email@example.com||Phone: 800-737-5103|
|for logistical and technology support, including questions about PearsonAccess Next and TestNav|
|Student Assessment Services||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org||Phone: 781-338-3625|
|for policy questions, including student participation|
Latest Updates from Student Assessment Services
We welcome everyone back to the new school year. This initial edition of the Student Assessment Update is to provide information on upcoming training sessions and other time-sensitive information only. Our annual back-to-school edition with information about the coming year will be sent out in a few weeks.
Upcoming Training Sessions
The Department will host the following two remote training sessions the week of September 24. We hope that you and your teams will be able to participate in the sessions, and the recordings will be posted in about a week after each session online.
|Session and Topics||Date and Times|
(Click on the link to register.)
|Overview of the Student Registration/Personal Needs Profile, with a focus on the November Retest|
Overview of the Student Registration/Personal Needs Profile (SR/PNP) process for ordering test materials and updating selected accommodations
|Monday, September 24, 10:00–11:30 a.m.||For new high school staff or other staff who want a refresher|
Principals, MCAS test coordinators, technology coordinators
|MCAS Accessibility and Accommodations, with a focus on the November retests|
- Participation requirements
- Decision-making guidelines
- Important updates for high schools
- Accessibility/accommodations for CBT
- Accessibility/accommodations for PBT
|Friday, September 28, 10:00–11:30 a.m.||For new high school staff or other staff who want a refresher|
Principals, MCAS test coordinators, technology coordinators, special education administrators and supervisors, and test administrators
Registration for the November Retests: Due October 5
Schools must complete the Student Registration/Personal Needs Profile (SR/PNP) process to order student test materials for the November retests between September 24 and October 5.
Superintendents must ensure that educational collaboratives and approved private special education schools order materials via the SR/PNP process for their students in out-of-district placements.
A response is required from each high school by October 5, including from schools that do not have students participating in this administration. Schools with the following two special situations should contact the MCAS Service Center by the deadline:
- If no students will participate in the retest, the MCAS Service Center with the school and district name and code. The MCAS Service Center will be calling high schools that do not complete the SR/PNP (or do not contact them before the deadline). email
- Adult/external diploma programs, test sites, DYS/SEIS, and other high schools with a special situation should contact the MCAS Service Center to place an order for a total number of materials instead of completing the SR/PNP process.
For assistance in completing the SR/PNP, access these resources (in addition to the training session listed above):
Questions about ordering test materials can be directed to the MCAS Service Center, and questions about policies or participation guidelines can be directed here to the Office of Student Assessment Services.
ACCESS for ELLs
During September, principals may either assume the responsibility of, or designate a staff person to serve as, the ACCESS for ELLs School Test Coordinator. The district should assign a District Test Coordinator and a District Technology Coordinator. Designations should be made as soon as possible and communicated to your District Directory Administrator who will need to update your school's ESE Profile by September 19, since these individuals will receive important communications from WIDA and Data Recognition Corporation (DRC), the testing contractor, throughout the year.
Please contact Student Assessment Services with any questions about ACCESS for ELLs testing at or by phone at 781-338-3625. email@example.com
Principals, MCAS test coordinators, special education directors, and EL program directors automatically receive this Student Assessment Update based on contact information submitted to the Department. To change your email address or to add another staff member who serves in one of these roles, please follow the instructions below:
- Public school districts, public schools, charter public schools, educational collaboratives, approved private special education schools, and alternative education programs: submit the new email address to your District-Level Directory Administrator.
- Test sites, adult education programs, out-of-state schools, SEIS-DYS programs: go online to the EOE Information Technology web page (select "District/School Information Update" as the subject) to submit your update (be sure to include your District and School Code).
For others who wish to subscribe, email with the following information in the firstname.lastname@example.org of the email: "subscribe SASUpdate Your_Name" (Example: subscribe SASUpdate John_Smith). To unsubscribe, send an email to the same address with the following information in the body: "unsubscribe SASUpdate."
In addition, ESE sends occasional communications regarding state policies that affect educators, parents, and other community stakeholders, as well as opportunities for community members to participate in state initiatives. Please visit our newsletter sign-up page if you are interested in receiving other news and information from the Department.
We welcome your questions and feedback at . Thank you. email@example.com
Last Updated: September 18, 2018