Louisiana Juniors & Seniors Graduation Information- Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

Louisiana Juniors & Seniors Graduation Information

If you are a former Louisiana student displaced in another state due to Hurricane Katrina or Hurricane Rita, you have several options for high school graduation. These questions and answers can help you decide what your options are and how to proceed.

  1. What are my options for high school graduation?
    You may earn a high school diploma from the state where you are now residing or you may earn a Louisiana high school diploma if you meet the Louisiana graduation requirements, through the Distance Diploma program.

  2. Who is eligible for the Distance Diploma program?
    Students are eligible if they are former Louisiana public school students displaced due to Hurricane Katrina or Hurricane Rita, and they plan to graduate this year (2005-2006) or next year (2006-2007). Displaced students who have completed course requirements but need to retake the Graduation Exit Examination (GEE) are also eligible.

  3. If I want to earn the Louisiana diploma, what are the requirements?
    You must earn 23 "Carnegie units" (course credits) and pass the Louisiana Graduation Exit Examination (GEE).

  4. How do I get started?
    See your guidance counselor to sign up. The guidance counselor should login to the Louisiana Department of Education website, http://www.louisianaschools.net/, and click on "Distance Diplomas" to help you sign up.

  5. How can I take the Louisiana Graduation Exit Examination (GEE) if I am out of state?
    • The GEE will be offered in an online format (GEE Online) beginning this spring. Check our website at http://www.louisianaschools.net/ for updates about GEE online.
    • After you sign up for the Distance Diploma program, you will register for the GEE in January.
    • You will be able to take the GEE three times this year-January 2006, March 2006, and June 2006.

  6. How will I get my diploma?
    • Your Louisiana diploma will be sent to your current school.
    • The diploma will have the name of your former Louisiana school.
    • Check with your current school counselor or administrator regarding participation in graduation ceremonies.

  7. Will I be able to receive TOPS?
    For information on possible waivers of TOPS requirements for students displaced by the hurricanes and any other questions related to TOPS, call the Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance at 800-259-5626 or check their website at http://www.osfa.state.la.us/.

  8. Who can I contact for more information?
    Contact the Louisiana Department of Education toll free at: 1-877-453-2721 or look us up on the web at www.louisianaschools.net.

Last Updated: January 24, 2006

Contact Us

Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
75 Pleasant Street, Malden, MA 02148-4906

Voice: (781) 338-3000
TTY: (800) 439-2370


Disclaimer: A reference in this website to any specific commercial products, processes, or services, or the use of any trade, firm, or corporation name is for the information and convenience of the public and does not constitute endorsement or recommendation by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.