National Missing Children's Day Poster Contest For 5th Graders
|To:||Elementary School Principals|
|From:||Jeffrey Nellhaus, Acting Commissioner of Education|
|Date:||November 12, 2007|
The U.S. Department of Justice, through the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention's Child Protection Division, sponsors this annual contest for 5th grade students to develop the artwork that will represent America's united goal to bring missing children home safely.
The winning artwork from each state will be displayed at the National Missing Children's Day ceremony, to be held during the month of May, 2008. The national winner travels to Washington, DC, along with his/her parents and teacher, to receive an award and participate in the ceremony.
- Applicant must be in the 5th grade.
- Artwork should reflect the theme "Bring Our Missing Children Home." This phrase must appear somewhere on the poster.
- The theme must be depicted visually in one or a combination of mediums, such as: acrylics, watercolor, pencil, charcoal, magic markers, spray paint, crayons, pastels, etc.
- The finished poster must measure 11 x 14 inches.
- The poster must be submitted with a completed application, that includes a description of the poster and a brief biography of the artist (neither to exceed 100 words) either legibly written or typed.
Complete contest rules must be followed for all levels of competition. Incomplete packages and incorrect sized posters will not be eligible for further consideration.
- Artwork will be judged on:
- Originality of design
- Reflection of the contest theme
- Use of color and materials
- Written applications will be judged on:
- Level of understanding of the subject expressed
- Grammar and syntax appropriate to the 5th grade level
The contest will commence on January 13, 2008, "AMBER Alert Awareness Day."
The 11x14 poster with completed application must be mailed by March 1, 2008 to:
Massachusetts State Police General Headquarters
c/o Tpr. Nicole Morrell
AMBER Alert Coordinator
470 Worcester Road
Framingham, MA. 01702
Complete information about the contest can be viewed and downloaded at the sites below:
OJJDP Poster Contest Overview
OJJDP Poster Contest Downloads