|For Immediate Release|
|Thursday, November 20, 2008|
|Contact:||Heidi Guarino 781-338-3106 or JC Considine 781-338-3112|
Public Hearings Scheduled for Comment on Proposed Charter Schools
MALDEN - Three public hearings have been scheduled across the state, to allow members of the community to comment on the three charter school proposals being considered this year.
Over the next four months the three finalists invited to submit a full application for a Massachusetts charter school will undergo a rigorous review process. Written comment may be submitted through Monday, January 5, 2009 to: Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, Charter School Office, 350 Main Street, Malden, MA 02148 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications are available upon request.
Public hearings will be held from 4-6 p.m. at the following locations:
- Thursday, December 4th, Waltham Public Library Lecture Hall, 735 Main Street, Waltham, MA 02451
- Tuesday, December 9th, Worcester Public Library Saxe Room, 3 Salem Square, Worcester, MA 01608
- Thursday, December 11th, Fuller School Auditorium, 6 School House Road, Gloucester, MA 01930
The Board of Elementary and Secondary Education will vote to grant new charters at their February meeting. The three finalists under consideration are:
- Gloucester Community Arts Charter School, serving students in grades K-8 from Gloucester. Enrollment capacity: 240.
- Rediscovery Academy Charter School, proposing to locate in Waltham, serving students in grades 9-12 statewide. Enrollment capacity: 220.
- Spirit of Knowledge Academy Charter School (SOKA), serving students in grades 6-12 from Leicester, Oxford, and Worcester. Enrollment capacity: 585.
There are currently 61 operational charter schools in Massachusetts, including 54 Commonwealth and 7 Horace Mann charter schools. As of the 2008-2009 school year there were nearly 21,000 students on charter school waiting lists. For more information on charter schools look online at www.doe.mass.edu/charter.