Race to the Top (RTTT)
IDEA-ARRA Stimulus Funds for FY09
A small number of districts have indicated the need to have a portion of their IDEA-American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (IDEA-ARRA) funds available for "recovery" expenditures prior to July 1, 2009. We will be able to make these funds available for a grant period from May 15 to June 30, 2009 under the following procedures:
The district should send an email requesting an FY09 application form to email@example.com. Include in the email the following three items of information:
Once you receive the application, it must be returned by May 8, 2009 in order to be processed and put on our Grants system by May 15, 2009
- The email address and phone contact information for the person to receive the application. We will email the streamlined application to that person no later than the next business day.
- The amount of IDEA-ARRA funds you will be requesting to use in May and June of this year (which cannot exceed the school age allocation for your district)
- A brief description of how you anticipate using the IDEA-ARRA funds in FY09 (e.g., to prevent lay-offs of 3 teachers in June).
We anticipate having the application form for the FY10 IDEA-ARRA funds posted in late April/early May. This form will be different from that used for the brief FY09 grant period (May 15 to June 30) and it will have a "rolling submission period." Districts wishing to have their FY10 funds available on July 1 will be advised to submit their FY10 applications by June 1, 2009. Districts not needing funds in July may submit their applications at a later date.
- These funds must be appropriate spending for special education and will have the same reporting requirements as the FY10 IDEA-ARRA grants will have. The Department will provide a format for more detailed reporting information at a later date.
- Any funds received by the district and not expended by June 30, 2009 will need to be returned to the Department. The district will need to submit additional paperwork to access these returned funds in FY10.
- Districts taking these FY09 funds will be responsible for submitting a first report in early July, 2009.
- A district taking advantage of this FY09 grant option will have its IDEA-ARRA funds for FY10 reduced accordingly.
If you have any questions, please contact our staff in the Special Education Planning and Policy Development unit at 781-338-3375.