Founders of Eight Proposed Charter Schools Asked To Submit Full Application- Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
|For Immediate Release|
|Tuesday, September 29, 2009|
|Contact:||Heidi Guarino 781-338-3106|
Founders of Eight Proposed Charter Schools Asked To Submit Full Application
MALDEN - Founders of eight of the fourteen proposed charter schools submitted for consideration this year have been invited by education officials to move to the next stage of the process and submit a final application for their school based on an initial review of the proposals submitted in August.
The state's charter school approval process sets clear expectations for applicants, includes a thorough review of all materials by staff and education experts, and multiple opportunities for public feedback.
Final applications are due on November 13, 2009 and will undergo a thorough evaluation process including a rigorous review of the written final application by a review team, an interview of the applicant group by the Charter School Office, public hearings in the areas where schools are proposed to be located, and a review of any public comments offered to the Department. The Commissioner will then review all of the materials and make final recommendations to the Board for consideration and vote at their meeting in February.
The proposed schools invited to submit full applications are:
- Discovery Charter School of Sustainability, serving students in grades K-6 in Conway, Deerfield, Erving, Gill-Montague, Greenfield, Hawlemont, Leveret, Mohawk, Orange, Pioneer Valley, Rowe, Shutesbury, Sunderland, and Whately. Maximum enrollment: 260.
- Hanlin International Academy Charter School, serving students in grades 6-12 in Quincy. Maximum enrollment: 308.
- Housatonic River Charter School, serving students in grades 7-12 in Berkshire Hills, Lee, Lenox, and Southern Berkshire. Maximum enrollment: 240.
- Leaders of Tomorrow Charter Public School, serving students in grades 6-8 in Worcester. Maximum enrollment: 270.
- Lynn Preparatory School, serving students in grades K-8 in Lynn. Maximum enrollment: 250.
- Rediscovery Academy Charter School, serving students in grades 9-12 in Ayer, Belmont, Billerica, Brookline, Cambridge, Concord, Concord/Carlisle, Everett, Fitchburg, Grafton, Leominster, Lincoln, Lincoln/Sudbury, Littleton, Lowell, Malden, Medford, Natick, Newton, Shirley, Somerville, Southborough, Waltham, Watertown, Westborough, Wilmington, Winchester, Woburn, and Worcester. Maximum enrollment: 150.
- Road to Success Charter High School, serving students in grades 9-12 in Lynn, Peabody, and Salem. Maximum enrollment: 400.
- Spirit of Knowledge Academy Charter School, serving students in grades 7-12 in Worcester. Maximum enrollment: 275.
Additional information on charter schools is available at www.doe.mass.edu/charter.