Massachusetts Charter Schools
Expanded Learning Time - free full-day study tours offered
Expanded Learning Time: Making Every Minute Matter at Boston Preparatory Charter School and Other Charter Schools in Massachusetts
This spring, three urban charter schools that offer longer school days and/or years are offering FREE full-day study tours.
These events give teams of teachers and administrators the opportunity to:
• Tour a host school, observe in a classroom
• Dialogue with school leaders, staff, and collaborators
• Network with other attendees
• Participate in a workshop focusing on academics, enrichment, or instructional improvement
• Engage in action planning
• Come away with a new research document on expanded learning time practices
The study tours, a continuation of study tours offered in fall 2009, are part of a Massachusetts DESE-funded charter school dissemination project.
They'll be of interest to those offering or considering expanded learning time, as well as educators who work in schools with traditional calendars.
The schools hosting study tours are:
• Boston Preparatory, April 13, Hyde Park
• Rising Tide, April 29, Plymouth
• City on a Hill, April 30, Roxbury
The project is the work of Boston Preparatory Charter Public School, in collaboration with eight other charter schools in the Commonwealth,
as well as the Massachusetts Charter Public School Association (MCPSA). Details are available online at http://www.mccpse.org/oppoelt.html.
Space is limited, pre-registration required, and deadlines are fast approaching. Attendees from district schools are welcome,
and limited funds to reimburse schools for substitute teachers are available. To learn more and to register, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 781-475-8879.
"Time guarantees nothing, but with it all else is possible."
- Unlocking the Power of Time, 1995