ACCESS for ELLs
ACCESS for ELLs Assessment Update: Test Administrator Training - Password Enclosed
|Copy:||Superintendents and ELL Directors|
|From:||Dan Wiener, Administrator of Inclusive Assessment|
|Date:||October 2, 2012|
I am writing to provide principals with the password that will allow prospective test administrators to access the required training modules to administer the 2013 ACCESS for ELLs tests.
Test Administrator Qualifications
Principals must authorize individuals to serve as test administrators for ACCESS for ELLs tests and ensure that they have completed the relevant training and certification described below. To the extent possible, test administrators should be licensed classroom teachers working in the school. When necessary, other education professionals, such as administrators employed by the district, may be authorized to serve as test administrators. Individuals prohibited from being test administrators include anyone not employed by the district and anyone who has not completed the relevant training and certification.
Training Modules and Certification Quizzes
Prospective test administrators must complete the relevant online training modules and certification quizzes listed below between October 1, 2012, and January 10, 2013, in order to administer the ACCESS for ELLs tests (January 10-February 13, 2013). All prospective test administrators should complete the overview module, plus those modules for the tests they will administer. Each available training module is listed below, with approximate times for their completion.
|Grades||Training Modules||Certification Quiz||Estimated Time to Complete|
|K-12||Overview Module ||No||15 minutes|
|1-12||Group Test Administration Module (covers Listening, Reading, Writing tests)||Yes||1 hour|
|1-12||Speaking Test Administration Module||Yes||2 hours|
|Kindergarten||Kindergarten Test Module||Yes||2 ½ hours|
The online training and certification quizzes may be completed in one sitting or in multiple sessions as needed. A score of 80 percent or higher on each certification quiz is required for an educator to be authorized to administer a specific test. Each certification quiz may be taken until the minimum required score is attained.
Each prospective test administrator will see a pop-up screen when they have successfully completed the training module and quiz. A certificate will also be available for printing.
Instructions for Creating Personal Accounts to View Training Modules
Principals should distribute the password and instructions provided below to each prospective test administrator in the school and request that they create their own personal account. Once a personal account is created, the test administrator should write down and securely store the user name and password.
Prospective test administrators should follow the steps described below to create their personal accounts.
- Go online to www.wida.us.
- In the box near the upper right corner, enter massachusetts as your user name, and patriot as your password. Both must be entered in all lower case letters. Click LOG IN.
- Click Continue on the next screen.
- Select Massachusetts from the dropdown menu; then select your District Name. Click Continue. Complete the requested information to create an account, and click Create My Account.
Your WIDA-assigned user name and the password you selected will be displayed, and you will be informed that an email has been sent to you with this information. If you do not see the email, please check your spam or junk mail folders and/or check with your technology coordinator to be certain that your system is not blocking messages from firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- Return to the Home Page and click Log Out.
- Enter your personal user name and password, and log back in.
- Select ACCESS for ELLs Training Course & Quizzes. Follow online steps to access the appropriate training modules listed above.
If you lose or forget your personal login information after creating your account, please visit the WIDA website (www.wida.us/RecoverPassword.aspx) and type in the email address used to create the account to receive a password reminder email. Do not create a new account.
Contact the WIDA Help Desk at 866-276-7735, or firstname.lastname@example.org, if you have any questions about creating a personal account.
Monitoring the Progress of Test Administrator Training in Districts
Beginning on October 15, individuals who have set up personal accounts will have access via their personal accounts to view the names of individuals in the district who have taken the training and completed the certification quizzes. Superintendents, principals, and ELL directors who wish to monitor the progress of test administrator training in their district must set up their own personal account to view this information.
To view the names of test administrators in the district who have completed the training, users can login to their personal account; click on "My Quizzes" in the upper right-hand corner of the screen; then click on the "District View" tab.
Documents prepared by the Department with specific information about ACCESS for ELLs test administration include:
- Requirements for the Participation of ELLs in ACCESS for ELLs and MCAS (2012-2013 Update), available at www.doe.mass.edu/mcas/participation/ell.pdf
- ACCESS for ELLs Test Coordinator Training PowerPoint presentation, available at www.wida.us/membership/states/Massachusetts.aspx, under the "Professional Development" tab
- Information for principals will be sent out shortly (and will be available at www.doe.mass.edu/mcas/access) that describes how to order ACCESS for ELLs test materials this fall and plan for testing in each school.
Thank you for your attention to this.