Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System
Student Assessment Update: June 17, 2013
Release of 2013 Preliminary MCAS and MCAS Alternate Assessment Results
Full preliminary results in English Language Arts (ELA) and preliminary multiple-choice results in Mathematics and grades 5 and 8 Science and Technology/Engineering (STE) are scheduled to be available on June 18. (Please note that 2013 Student Growth Percentiles for ELA will not be released on June 18. We will keep you updated on their availability.) Preliminary MCAS-Alt results are also scheduled to be available on June 18. The goal in providing preliminary results is to give instructional staff feedback on student, school, and district performance before the end of the school year. While staff are encouraged to use preliminary student data for planning purposes, aggregated data may not be shared with the public until the official release of school and district results in September.
For more information on the release of MCAS results, please see the recently posted Release of 2013 MCAS and MCAS Alternate Assessment Results and Accountability Data that is available on the Department's website. This memorandum includes a link to the MCAS and Accountability Data Review and Release Schedule.
Multiple-Choice Results Interpretive Guide
A Multiple-Choice Results Interpretive Guide for Mathematics and Grades 5 and 8 STE will be available in DropBox Central in the Department's Security portal at https://gateway.edu.state.ma.us on June 18. The interpretive guide is designed to provide guidance in interpreting preliminary multiple-choice results that will be posted in the dropbox on the same day.
Feedback on MCAS Administrative Manuals
If you have suggestions for improving our MCAS administration manuals, such as the Principal's Administration Manuals (PAMS) or the Test Administration Manuals (TAMS), we welcome your feedback at email@example.com through the end of June.
Important Upcoming Dates
- June 18 (by 5:00 p.m.):
- Full preliminary ELA results and preliminary multiple-choice results for grades 3-8 and 10 Mathematics and grades 5 and 8 STE files available in DropBox Central
- Preliminary MCAS-Alt results available in DropBox Central
- ELA Compositions posted online at www.mcasservicecenter.com
- June 18: Multiple-Choice Results Interpretive Guide available in DropBox Central
- June 21 (by 5:00 p.m.): Full preliminary ELA results and preliminary Mathematics and grades 5 and 8 STE reports in Edwin Analytics
- July 1: Schools may begin contacting the MCAS Service Center at 800-737-5103 with questions about preliminary student results.
- August 7 and 8: Reporting teleconferences (register at www.mcasservicecenter.com)
About this Update
The Student Assessment Services Update provides important information about the state's testing programs. Please email your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Principals, heads of school, MCAS test coordinators, and ELL directors received this email based on contact information that was submitted to the Department. To change your email address, please follow the instructions below:
- Public schools: Submit updates to your District-Level Directory Administrator, who is responsible for submitting updates to the Department. A listing of Directory Administrators is posted at www.doe.mass.edu/infoservices/data/diradmin/list.aspx.
- Non-public schools and collaboratives: Submit updates (along with your District & School Code) to the Department via email at email@example.com.