Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System
Student Assessment Update: November 18, 2013
New PARCC Sample Items - Now Available:
The Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC) has released a new set of sample test items in English language arts/literacy and mathematics. These sample items will help schools prepare their students for the new PARCC assessments. With this new set, PARCC now has posted over 70 sample items on its website in grades 3-11 in both subjects. As an additional resource to teachers, PARCC will re-release its sample test items on its technology platform later this winter. This will enable educators, students, parents, and others to experience the items on the same technology interface that students will use during actual testing. To view PARCC's sample items, go to www.parcconline.org/samples/item-task-prototypes and click on a grade and content area listed on the left.
PARCC Accommodations Manual
The second edition of the PARCC Accessibility Features and Accommodations Manual is also available on the PARCC website at www.parcconline.org/parcc-accessibility-features-and-accommodations-manual. New tools and appendices provide guidance on selecting and using accommodations for the PARCC computer-based and paper-based operational and field tests for students with disabilities and English language learners.
Important Upcoming Dates
- November 18: Deadline for high schools to complete the PCPA and schedule pickup of test materials for the MCAS November retest administration
- November 19: Deadline for pickup of MCAS November retest materials
- January 23: MCAS November retest scores will be available electronically.
About This Update
The Student Assessment Update provides important information about the state's testing programs. The update is scheduled to be distributed to schools on a bimonthly basis (less frequently in the summer). We welcome your feedback at email@example.com.
Principals, MCAS and PARCC test coordinators, and ELL directors receive this update via email based on contact information that your school submitted to the Department. To change your email address or to add another staff member, please follow the instructions below:
- Public school districts, public schools, charter public schools, collaboratives, approved special education schools: Submit the new email address to your District-Level Directory Administrator, who is responsible for submitting contact information to the Department. A list of Directory Administrators is posted at www.doe.mass.edu/infoservices/data/diradmin/list.aspx.
- MCAS test sites, adult education programs, out-of-state schools, SEIS-DYS programs: Submit an email address (along with your District and School Code) to the Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.