Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System
Student Assessment Update: December 16, 2013
New Applications for Interpreting MCAS Results
The Department recently released two new applications designed to help parents and educators interpret MCAS results.
First, the school report card overview provides a useful summary of a school's accountability data and also compares the school to other schools serving similar grades in the district and in the state. The application compares schools using measures such as MCAS achievement and growth, teachers and classrooms, attendance, discipline, and high school completion. The school report card overview (or the complete report card) can be accessed by using the new search tool on the Department's Profiles homepage.
Second, on the statewide MCAS Achievement/Growth Report, you can now view school-level MCAS results by school type (elementary, elementary-middle, middle, high, and middle-high/K-12) for the years 2010-2013.
Submitting MCAS Graphic Organizers, Checklists, and Individualized Mathematics Reference Sheets (Accommodation 20) to the Department
As a reminder, Accommodation 20 materials for students with disabilities must be submitted to the Department for approval before the materials are provided to students for MCAS tests. These include:
- materials that have never been approved by the Department
- materials that were approved prior to the 2012-2013 school year
- all high school individualized mathematics reference sheets, even if approved during the last school year
Submission deadlines are listed below. Additional information is available at www.doe.mass.edu/mcas/participation/?section=sped.
|Test Administration Date||Content Area MCAS Test||Materials Submission Deadline|
|February 2014||High School Biology||January 10, 2014|
|March 2014||ELA and Mathematics (Retest)||February 7, 2014|
|March-April 2014||ELA (grades 3-8, 10)||February 7, 2014|
|May 2014||Mathematics (grades 3-8, 10)|
STE (grades 5 and 8)
|April 4, 2014|
|June 2014||High School STE||May 2, 2014|
Important Upcoming Dates
- January 6-17: Ordering window for spring MCAS, MCAS-Alt, and March retest materials
- January 9-February 12: ACCESS for ELLs testing window
- January 10: MCAS November retest composition images available at www.mcasservicecenter.com
- January 13: MCAS November retest scores available electronically
About This Update
The Student Assessment Update provides important information about the state's testing programs. The update is scheduled to be distributed to schools on a bimonthly basis (less frequently in the summer). We welcome your feedback at email@example.com.
Principals, MCAS test coordinators, and ELL directors receive this update via email based on contact information that your school submitted to the Department. To change your email address or to add another staff member, please follow the instructions below:
- Public school districts, public schools, charter public schools, collaboratives, approved special education schools: Submit the new email address to your District-Level Directory Administrator, who is responsible for submitting contact information to the Department. A list of Directory Administrators is posted at www.doe.mass.edu/infoservices/data/diradmin/list.aspx.
- MCAS test sites, adult education programs, out-of-state schools, SEIS-DYS programs: Submit an email address (along with your District and School Code) to the Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.