Board Documents — March 2020
Regular Meeting — Agenda Amended 3/30/2020
Board of Elementary and Secondary Education
Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
By Remote Participation Per Governor Baker's Emergency Order of March 12, 2020
Comments from the Chair
Comments from the Commissioner
Comments from the Secretary
Statements from the Public*
Briefing — Updated 3/30/2020 5:05 p.m.
Approval of the Minutes of the February 25, 2020 Regular Meeting
- Update on Covid-19 Action Steps to Support Schools, Students, and Families — Discussion
- On the Desktop: Remote Learning Recommendations During COVID-19 School Closures
- Executive Order
- On the Desktop: School District Payments to Hourly Employees
- On the Desktop: Payments for Contracted Services
- On the Desktop: Professional Licensure Extensions
- Proposed Regulation Addressing Regulatory Timelines Due to Covid-19 State of Emergency, 603 CMR 56.00, for Emergency Adoption — Discussion and Vote — Added 3/30/2020 2:40 p.m.
- Proposed Regulation Addressing Regulatory Timelines Due to COVID-19 State of Emergency, 603 CMR 56.00
- Governor Baker's Declaration of State of Emergency dated March 10, 2020
- Governor Baker's Order Temporarily Closing all Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools dated March 15, 2020
- Governor Baker's Order Extending Temporary Closure of all Public and Private Elementary and Secondary School dated March 25, 2020
- Education Collaboratives: Delegation of Certain Matters to Commissioner per Statute — Discussion and Vote
- Motion to Delegate Authority to Establish Education Collaborative Regions and Designate Lead Collaboratives
The matters listed above are those reasonably anticipated by the Chair of the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education to be discussed at the meeting. Not all items listed may in fact be discussed and other items, not listed, may also be brought up for discussion, to the extent such is permitted by law.
Board of Elementary and Secondary Education Members
- Ms. Katherine Craven, Chair, Brookline
- Mr. James Morton, Vice Chair, Boston
- Ms. Amanda Fernández, Belmont
- Mr. Matt Hills, Newton
- Mr. Michael Moriarty, Holyoke
- Mr. James Peyser, Secretary of Education, Milton
- Mr. Paymon Rouhanifard, Brookline
- Ms. Mary Ann Stewart, Lexington
- Mr. Matthew Tibbitts, Student Advisory Council, Ludlow
- Dr. Martin West, Newton
Jeffrey C. Riley, Commissioner
Secretary to the Board
* The Board welcomes public comment on matters within its purview. Accordingly, the Board makes available a maximum 30-minute period at its regular meetings for persons to address the Board for no longer than 3 minutes.
If you are interested in providing public comment for the March 31, 2020 regular meeting, please submit an email request to by 12:00pm, Monday, March 30, 2020. Once confirmed, we will provide you with information on how to participate virtually. Written material of any length may be submitted and is encouraged.Written testimony, and other inquiries may be transmitted by mail, e-mail, or telephone to: Massachusetts Board of Elementary and Secondary Education, 75 Pleasant Street, Malden, MA 02148, Phone: 781-338-3112, E-mail: Courtney.L.Sullivan@mass.gov. email@example.com