Performance Review Program for Initial Licensure
All teacher candidates for Initial licenses must complete a preparation program approved by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. The Department has contracted with Class Measures to operate a Performance Review Program for Initial Licensure (PRPIL) for eligible candidates in districts that do not have a state approved preparation program for Initial teacher licenses. On April 26, 2005, the Board of Education expanded the number of teaching fields that may be included in this program beyond the earlier list of core academic areas. Experienced candidates in teaching fields, EXCEPT those listed below, who have documented educational coursework/training, may be eligible for this program.
PRPIL consists of a five-stage review, including onsite observations and a preservice performance assessment using Department guidelines, in which the candidate works with an instructional consultant supplied by Class Measures and a district coach/mentor. Each stage will evaluate the candidate's ability to 1) demonstrate application of the Massachusetts Professional Standards for Teachers in the context of his/her subject area of the license and classroom, and 2) incorporate the Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks into his/her practice.
Who is Eligible?
Only those teachers who fulfill the following requirements are eligible to enroll in PRPIL. The candidate must:
- Hold a Massachusetts Preliminary License in any teaching field EXCEPT:
|Early childhood||Teacher of the deaf and hard-of-hearing|
|Elementary||Teacher of the visually impaired|
|Teacher of students with moderate disabilities||Reading Specialist|
|Teacher of students with severe disabilities||Speech/language/hearing disorders|
|(PRPIL is not available for these licenses.)|
- Have at least three full years of employment in the role of the Preliminary license, as well as documented seminars, courses, and experience relevant to the Professional Standards for Teachers in 603 7.08 (2).
- Be employed in a district in which there is no state-approved district-based program for obtaining an Initial license or in which the approved program is not available to the candidate.
- Be recommended by the principal of each school where the candidate was/is employed under the Preliminary License or in the role of the Initial license sought.
- Complete a competency review for those license fields that have no subject matter knowledge test, or for which not all the subject matter knowledge required for the license is measured by the test.
Please note that licenses earned through this alternative process may not be reciprocal in states with which Massachusetts has signed the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement.
The cost of the program is $2,500. Payment arrangements are between the candidate and Class Measures. For more information about the program and application requirements please contact the Class Measures Office at 781-939-5699 or by email at email@example.com.