Education Laws and Regulations
603 CMR 31.00:
Massachusetts Certificate of Mastery
|31.01: ||Authority, Scope and Purposes|
|31.03:||Criteria for the Certificate of Mastery|
|31.04:||Criteria for Candidacy for the Certificate of Mastery|
|31.05:||Criteria for the Certificate of Mastery with Distinction|
|31.06:||Stanley Z. Koplik Certificate of Mastery with Distinction Award|
|View All Sections|
31.05: Criteria for the Certificate of Mastery with Distinction
(1) To be eligible for the Certificate of Mastery with Distinction, a Student must:
- (a) qualify as a Candidate for the Certificate of Mastery with Distinction;
- (b) demonstrate accomplishment in both Arts/Humanities and Mathematics/Science; and
- (c) be in good standing to graduate from the high school in which the Student is enrolled.
(2) To qualify for the Certificate of Mastery with Distinction, a Candidate for the Certificate of Mastery with Distinction must submit evidence establishing that he or she met or surpassed the performance standards established in 603 CMR 31.05(3) in one of the following combinations of accomplishments, with at least one accomplishment in the fields of Art/Humanities if the Candidate did not score Advanced on the grade 10 English MCAS, and at least one accomplishment in the fields of Mathematics/Science if the Candidate did not score Advanced on the grade 10 Mathematics or Science and Technology MCAS:
- (a) Two SAT II exams;
- (b) Two AP exams;
- (c) One SAT II exam and one AP exam;
- (d) One SAT II exam and one Other Achievement; or
- (e) One AP exam and one Other Achievement.
(3) To qualify as an accomplishment for the purposes of 603 CMR 31.05 (1) and (2), a Student must meet or exceed the following levels of performance:
- (a) A score of three on an AP exam;
- (b) A score on an SAT II exam determined by the Department to be comparable to a score of three on an AP exam where there exist SAT II and AP exams in the same subject area; provided that, in subject areas where there are no corresponding AP exams, a Student must achieve a score designated by the Department;
The Department shall review and publish the required minimum scores for all SAT II exams every three (3) years.
- (c) A Candidate may not count both an AP exam score and an SAT II exam score in the same subject area as accomplishments for the purposes of 603 CMR 31.04(2).
- (d) Other Achievements shall include, but are not limited to, the following:
- (i) Intel Science Talent Search Competition winner;
- (ii) Regional, State or National Science Fair winner;
- (iii) Publication of writing in a competitive publication (e.g., The Concord Review);
- (iv) Selection for activity, beyond local school level, based on excellence in artistic or literary achievement (e.g., Greater Boston Youth Symphony, Boston Ballet, prize in Art Competition);
- (v) Additional achievements as approved by the Department.
(4) The Department shall issue guidelines to schools defining the Certificate of Mastery and Certificate of Mastery with Distinction application process. The Certificate of Mastery and Certificate of Mastery with Distinction will be awarded to students annually on a schedule to be determined by the Department.
603 CMR 31.00 M.G.L. c. 69, §§ 1B and 1D.
For further information regarding this award, please see the Certificate of Mastery's home page.