603 CMR 35.00
Evaluation of Educators
These regulations replace the current Regulations on Evaluation of Teachers and Administrators and accompanying Principles of Effective Teaching and Principles of Effective Administrative Leadership, as adopted in 1995.
- 35.01: Scope and Purpose
- 35.02: Definitions
- 35.03: Standards and Indicators of Effective Teaching Practice
- 35.04: Standards and Indicators of Effective Administrative Leadership Practice
- 35.05: Evaluation of Administrators under Individual Employment Contracts
- 35.06: Evaluation Cycle
- 35.07: Evidence Used in Evaluation
- 35.08: Performance Level Ratings
- 35.09: Peer Assistance and Review
- 35.10: Implementation and Reporting
- View All Sections
Most Recently Amended by the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education: February 28, 2017.
35.07: Evidence Used in Evaluation
(1) The following categories of evidence shall be used in evaluating each educator:
For educators responsible for direct instruction, multiple measures of student learning, growth, and achievement, which shall include:
- Measures of student progress on classroom assessments that are aligned with the Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks or other relevant frameworks and are comparable within grades or subjects in a school;
- Measures of student progress on learning goals set between the educator and evaluator for the school year;
- Statewide growth measure(s) where available, including the MCAS Student Growth Percentile and the Massachusetts English Proficiency Assessment.
- Common assessments of student learning, growth, and achievement.
For educators whose primary role is not as a classroom teacher, the appropriate measures of the educator's contribution to student learning, growth, and achievement set by the district.
Judgments based on observations and artifacts of professional practice, including unannounced observations of practice of any duration;
Additional evidence relevant to one or more Performance Standards, including, but not limited to:
- Evidence compiled and presented by the educator including:
- Evidence of fulfillment of professional responsibilities and growth, such as: self-assessments; peer collaboration; professional development linked to goals and or educator plans; contributions to the school community and professional culture;
- Evidence of active outreach to and ongoing engagement with families.
Student feedback (with respect to teachers and support personnel) collected by the district.
Staff feedback (with respect to administrators) collected by the district.
The Department shall research the feasibility and possible methods for districts to collect and analyze parent feedback as part of educator evaluation.
Any other relevant evidence from any source that the evaluator shares with the educator.
(2) Evidence and professional judgment shall inform the evaluator's ratings of Performance Standards and overall educator performance.
603 CMR 35.00: M.G.L. c.69, §1B; c.71, §38
For an official copy of these regulations, please contact the State House Bookstore, at 617-727-2834 or visit Massachusetts State Bookstore.