The purpose of this competitive grant opportunity is to select an organization to serve as Administrator for a summer Teacher Externship Program designed for 50 teachers placed in externships at local employer sites for a minimum of 50 hours, supporting their integration of instructional practices by exposing them to "All-Aspects Of Industry." This program will enable participating teachers to experience new and emerging technologies to ensure more rigor and relevance in their program curricula and instructional teaching methods. The Teacher Externship Program is designed for selected academic and technical teachers who deliver instruction to students enrolled in career and technical education programs. Local Workforce Development Boards (WDB's) have identified the teachers and employer sites that will participate in this summer program through a planning phase that occurred during the spring. WDB(s) have identified employer sites suffering from the skill gaps recently identified via the Commonwealth's "Regional Blueprint" process, which addresses labor market needs across the Commonwealth.
The Administrator of the Teacher Externship program will:
- Provide overall management and oversight of the program.
- Convene an initial meeting with all teachers in the Externship Cohort prior to placement at the worksite to communicate program expectations.
- Provide support for all teachers during their externships. Teachers are required to develop one or more lessons to be delivered in their classes next school year relating to the externship.
- Collect and disseminate all lesson plans developed by teachers and organize a process for teachers to share their lessons more broadly.
- Develop and document a payment system for participating teachers to receive financial compensation and ensure that all stipends earned are remitted to participating teachers in two installments, one paid mid-summer and the other on or before August 31, 2018. Teachers will receive stipends of $7,000 each.
- Create a system to document and issue Professional Development Points and/or credits to participants.
- Convene a final meeting with all teachers in the Externship Cohort to share lessons learned; share notable experiences; and discuss program goals and outcomes, including the identification of "All-Aspects Of Industry," including but not limited to: safety, equipment, software technologies, facility, entrepreneurship, and career readiness.
Organization with capacity to deliver all required elements of the grant with a proven record of supporting teacher professional development opportunities.
Approximately a total of up to $400,000 will be available through federal Perkins funds.
Funding is contingent upon availability. All dollar amounts listed are estimated/approximate and are subject to change. If more funding is to become available it will be distributed under the same guideline as listed in the initial RFP document.
- Funding Type:
Federal CFDA 84.048
- Fund Use:
$350,000 must be set aside for teacher stipends. The remaining %50,000 may be used to provide required services and program administration. These Perkins IV a funds must be used in accordance with Perkins IV and the Massachusetts Perkins IV Manual. Funds shall supplement and shall not supplant non-Federal funds.
- Project Duration:
Upon Approval – 8/31/2018
- Program Unit:
College, Career, and Technical Education
or (781) 338-3956 Lisa Sandler
- Date Due:
Friday, June 8, 2018
Proposals must be received at the Department by 5:00 p.m. on June 8, 2018.
- Required Forms:
Part I — General — Program Unit Signature Page — (Standard Contract Form and Application for Program Grants) Note: Please sign and date your cover page and ensure the amount matches the amount budgeted
Part II — FY19 New Budget Template (This is a budget template for the applicant to utilize while working through their final budget request in order to prepare for entering it into EdGrants. Please feel free to use this template when preparing for Application Submission. This Is Not the Budget. The actual final budget the applicant is requesting will be entered directly into EdGrants as part of the application submission process.)
Part III — Required Program Information
- Additional Information:
Massachusetts Perkins IV Manual and Perkins Act
Standard Contract Forms and Applications for Program Grants submitted or approved after September 1, 2018 can legally claim expenses to the grant only from the date of final Department approval.
Email complete proposal in PDF format to Lisa Sandler at: by 5:00PM on Friday, June 8, 2018. firstname.lastname@example.org
Awarded Recipients: Upon award, recipients will be required to enter the approved budget, and attach the Part I and Part III in EdGrants. Once selected, recipients will be contacted with further instructions on the process.