Notification Alert

Stay informed about coronavirus — COVID-19. Learn more

High School Equivalency (HSE) Testing Program

Under-18 Special Requirements

If you are 16 or 17 years of age, you cannot schedule any tests until an official Letter of Withdrawal from your last school attended has been approved by the Massachusetts High School Equivalency Team. The Letter of Withdrawal must conform to the following requirements:

  • Be on school letterhead, including the address and phone number;
  • Include your last date of attendance and your date of withdrawal;
  • Have been issued from the office of the Principal/Headmaster or the Head of Guidance; and
  • Be signed by the Principal/Headmaster or the Head of Guidance.

Before you submit your Letter of Withdrawal to the HSE Team, you must create an account with the vendor for whichever test you have chosen to take, either the GED© or the HiSET ®.

To create a GED© account, go to GED®: Get Your GED.

To create a HiSET ® account, go to The HiSET Exam.

Then submit the Letter of Withdrawal to the HSE Team, along with the following information:

  • Your first name and last name, exactly as they appear in your testing account;
  • Your telephone number;
  • Your email address; and
  • Your ETS Identification Number (HiSET ® only)

You may submit your letter one of three ways:

  • By email to Olympia Stroud
  • By fax to Olympia Stroud, 781-338-3089
  • By mail to the following address:
    HSE Office, 3rd Floor
    75 Pleasant Street
    Malden MA 02148
    Attn: Olympia Stroud (Please allow seven business days for your letter to reach us.)

You will be contacted via email by the HSE Team within three business days of the receipt of your letter and the required information.

Once you have received email approval of your Letter of Withdrawal, you will be able to go back into your account and schedule your tests.

Contact Us

Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
75 Pleasant Street, Malden, MA 02148-4906

Voice: (781) 338-3000
TTY: (800) 439-2370


Disclaimer: A reference in this website to any specific commercial products, processes, or services, or the use of any trade, firm, or corporation name is for the information and convenience of the public and does not constitute endorsement or recommendation by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.