Education Laws and Regulations
603 CMR 14.00:
Education of English Learners Regulations
|14.01: ||Authority, Scope and Purpose|
|14.02:||Identification and Assessment of Students|
|14.04:||Placement of Students with Parental Waivers|
|14.05:||English Literacy and Fluency Requirements for Teachers of English Language Classrooms|
|14.06:||Parental Right of Enforcement|
|14.07:||Assignment of English Learners to Teachers in School Districts|
|View All Sections|
14.02: Identification and Assessment of Students
(1) Each school district shall establish procedures, in accordance with Department of Elementary and Secondary Education guidelines, to identify those students who may be English learners and assess their level of English proficiency upon their enrollment in the school district.
(2) The parent or guardian of any student enrolled in the school district may request that the school district assess the child's level of English proficiency.
(3) The school district shall notify the parent or guardian and place in the student's school record the following information:
- (a) the school district's determination as to whether the student is an English learner; and,
- (b) the student's program placement.
(4) Each school district shall establish criteria, in accordance with Department of Elementary and Secondary Education guidelines, to identify students who may no longer be English learners.
M.G.L. c. 69, § 1B; c. 69, §§ 1J and 1K, as amended by St. 2010, c. 12, § 3; c. 71, § 38G.