603 CMR 14.00:
Education of English Learners Regulations
- 14.01: Scope and Purpose
- 14.02: Identification and Assessment of Students
- 14.03: Census
- 14.04: Placement of Students in English Learner Education Programs
- 14.05: English Literacy and Fluency Requirements for Teachers of English Language Classrooms
- 14.06: Parental Right of Enforcement
- 14.07: Assignment of English Learners to Teachers in School Districts
- 14.08: Career Vocational Technical Teachers and Administrators
- 14.09: English Learner Parent Advisory Councils
- View All Sections
Most recently amended by the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education: June 26, 2018
14.07: Assignment of English Learners to Teachers in School Districts.
(1) Core academic teachers who provide sheltered English instruction to English learners in school districts, including charter schools and education collaboratives, must earn an SEI Teacher Endorsement as set forth in 603 CMR 7.00: Educator Licensure and Preparation Program Approval and 603 CMR 14.07. Principals, assistant principals, and supervisors/directors who supervise or evaluate such teachers, must earn an SEI Teacher Endorsement or SEI Administrator Endorsement as set forth in 603 CMR 7.00 and 603 CMR 14.07.
(2) Individuals who were assigned to a cohort by the Department in each of the years from July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2016 and who failed to earn an SEI endorsement by the time designated for their cohort shall not be eligible to advance or renew their educator license under 603 CMR 7.00: Educator Licensure and Preparation Program Approval and 603 CMR 44.00: Educator License Renewal until such educators earn an SEI endorsement. Provided however, upon a showing of hardship, the Department may grant an educator an extension of time beyond the time designated for his or her cohort to earn an SEI endorsement. Hardship shall consist of serious illness or injury, or other circumstances that are beyond the control of the educator and impede the educator's ability to complete the requirements for an SEI endorsement.
(3) As of July 1, 2016, any core academic teacher who is assigned to provide sheltered English instruction to an English learner shall either hold an SEI Teacher Endorsement, or is required to earn such endorsement within one year from the date of the assignment. Any school district that assigns an English learner to a core academic teacher who has a year to obtain an SEI endorsement, shall take all reasonable steps to ensure that such English learner is assigned to core academic teachers with an SEI endorsement in subsequent school years.
(4) As of July 1, 2016, no principal, assistant principal, or supervisor/director shall supervise or evaluate a core academic teacher who provides sheltered English instruction to an English learner unless such principal, assistant principal, or supervisor/director holds an SEI Teacher Endorsement or SEI Administrator Endorsement, or will earn either endorsement within one year of the commencement of such supervision or evaluation.
(5) For purposes of 603 CMR 14.07, "core academic teacher" shall mean early childhood and elementary teachers, teachers of students with moderate disabilities, teachers of students with severe disabilities, and teachers of the following academic subjects: English, reading or language arts, mathematics, science, civics and government, economics, history, and geography.
M.G.L. c. 69, § 1B; c. 69, §§ 1J and 1K, as amended by St. 2010, c. 12, § 3; c. 71, § 38G; c. 71A, as amended by St. 2017, c. 138.
For an official copy of these regulations, please contact the State House Bookstore, at 617-727-2834 or visit Massachusetts State Bookstore.