Education Laws and Regulations
603 CMR 44.00:
Educator License Renewal
|44.01: ||Purpose and Authority|
|44.04:||Approval of Professional Development Plans|
|44.05:||Provisions Applicable to Licenses Renewed Before July 1, 2016|
|44.06:||Provisions Applicable to Licenses Renewed On or After July 1, 2016|
|44.09:||Documentation and Recordkeeping|
|44.11:||Failure to Satisfy Renewal Requirements|
|44.12:||Hardship Waiver or Modification|
|View All Sections|
44.05: Provisions applicable to licenses renewed before July 1, 2016
(1) Individual professional development plans must include at least 150 PDPs. At least 120 of the PDPs must be in the content area of the license or in pedagogy directly related to the educator's primary license, with at least 90 of these PDPs in the content area of the educator's primary license.
(2) Educators working in Massachusetts public schools must get initial approval of their professional development plans pursuant to 603 CMR 44.04 (1) within three months of issuance of the license to be renewed. A supervisor shall approve a professional development plan in which the 120 PDPs required to be in content area or pedagogy are consistent with school and district educational improvement goals.
(3) Educators shall obtain final approval of their plans from their supervisors, pursuant to the provisions of 603 CMR 44.04 (3).
(4) A minimum of 10 PDPs must be earned in a topic to count the PDPs toward license renewal.
(5) Professional development plans must include an additional 30 PDPs in the content area of any additional license to be renewed.
(6) Additional requirements for the teacher of the deaf and hard of hearing (American Sign Language/Total Communication) license: a passing score on a test of sign language proficiency approved by the Department.
603 CMR 44.00: M.G.L. c. 71, §38G