Education Laws and Regulations
603 CMR 44.00:
Educator License Renewal
|44.01: ||Purpose and Authority|
|44.04:||Approval of Professional Development Plans|
|44.05:||Provisions Applicable to Licenses Renewed Before July 1, 2016|
|44.06:||Provisions Applicable to Licenses Renewed On or After July 1, 2016|
|44.09:||Documentation and Recordkeeping|
|44.11:||Failure to Satisfy Renewal Requirements|
|44.12:||Hardship Waiver or Modification|
|View All Sections|
44.06: Provisions applicable to licenses renewed on or after July 1, 2016
(1) Professional development activities shall be identified by the educator and supervisor during the development of, and review of, the Individual Professional Development Plan in order to better support student achievement. Individual professional development plans must include at least 150 PDPs including:
- (a) At least 15 PDPs related to SEI or English as a Second Language.
- (b) At least 15 PDPs related to training in strategies for effective schooling for students with disabilities and instruction of students with diverse learning styles.
- (c) At least 90 PDPs in the content area of the license or in pedagogy, with no less than 60 PDPs in or related to the content area of the educator's primary license.
(2) Educators working in Massachusetts public schools must obtain initial approval of their professional development plans pursuant to 603 CMR 44.04 (1) within three months of issuance of the license to be renewed.
(3) Educators shall obtain final approval of their plans from their supervisors, pursuant to the provisions of 603 CMR 44.04(3).
(4) A minimum of 10 PDPs must be earned in a topic to count the PDPs toward license renewal.
(5) Professional development plans must include an additional 30 PDPs in the content area of any additional license to be renewed.
(6) Additional requirements for the teacher of the deaf and hard of hearing (American Sign Language/Total Communication) license: a passing score on a test of sign language proficiency approved by the Department.
603 CMR 44.00: M.G.L. c. 71, §38G