Guidance on FY2020 Significant Expansion
|To:||Charter School Leaders and Business Managers|
|From:||Joanna C. Laghetto, Coordinator of Data and Finance|
|Date:||May 24, 2019|
If your school qualifies as a new or significantly expanding charter school, a significant expansion report must be submitted through the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education's (DESE's) data portal. An explanation, instructions, and a list of schools follow. The DESE has pre-loaded potentially eligible charter schools into this application. If you believe your school was omitted in error from the list displayed below, please contact Joanna Laghetto (781-338-3221 or ). email@example.comThe significant expansion report must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, June 7, 2019.
It is important to note that we once again delayed this collection to allow the schools more time to confirm their numbers. If circumstances have changed and your school will not increase its population by the 10 percent threshold for school year 2019-2020, please let me know and do not complete this report. Over reporting enrollment numbers results in initial lower allocations to other charters and districts as well as a less efficient distribution of Title program funds. Please be assured that you will get your commensurate share of funds even if you do not significantly expand.
Explanation for Charter Schools that are New or Significantly Expanding
The Charter School Significant Expansion application is used by DESE to collect data to plan for entitlement grant allocations for FY2020. Only "new" or "significantly expanding" schools should submit this data. Federal regulations define significant expansion of enrollment as a "substantial increase in the number of students attending a charter school due to a significant event that is unlikely to occur on a regular basis, such as the addition of one or more grades or educational programs in major curriculum areas." Minor increases in enrollment caused by normal turnover are not considered significant expansion. In Massachusetts, the DESE's criteria for determining whether a charter school has experienced a significant expansion of enrollment are:
- The charter school's enrollment based on Oct. 1 SIMS is at least 10 percent greater than the previous year; and
- The charter school is expanding for one of the following reasons:
- adding one or more grades according to a growth plan;
- the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education approved an amendment to the school's charter to increase enrollment;
- a school has secured new space to allow for approved expansion previously restricted by inadequate facilities.
Instructions for Charter Schools that are New or Significantly Expanding
After entering the DESE's Security Portal, choose the Charter School Significant Expansion application. Using the drop-down boxes provided:
- Report the total projected number of English Language Learners (ELL) students, by town of residence, who will be enrolled at your charter school in 2019-2020;
- Report the total projected number of special education students, by town of residence and by age/grade, who will be enrolled at your charter school in 2019-2020. Note that special education students must be reported in two separate grade categories—"age 3 to grade K" and "grades 1 through 12" in order to determine supplemental allocations for the Early Childhood Special Education Allocation grant program.
Please note that students may be reported in more than one category.
Before your final submission, please verify that the projected numbers reported as Total ELL and Total special education in the report's heading match your records. Once complete, click the "Submit -- Final" button (only the Charter School Leader will see the "Submit -- Final" button.) This data is submitted under penalties of perjury.
FY20 Charter Schools Expected to Significantly Expand
|0409||Alma del Mar Charter School|
|3509||Argosy Collegiate Charter School|
|0447||Benjamin Franklin Classical Charter Public School|
|0416||Boston Preparatory Charter Public School|
|3503||Collegiate Charter School of Lowell|
|0426||Community Day Charter Public School - Gateway|
|0431||Community Day Charter Public School - R. Kingman Webster|
|3516||Hampden Charter School of Science West|
|3514||Libertas Academy Charter School|
|3517||Map Academy Charter School|
|0444||Neighborhood House Charter School|
|3513||New Heights Charter School of Brockton|
|3515||Old Sturbridge Academy Charter Public School|
|3518||Phoenix Academy Public Charter High School, Lawrence|
|0484||Roxbury Preparatory Charter School|
|0488||South Shore Charter Public School|
|3510||Springfield Preparatory Charter School|
Do you have questions or need assistance? Please contact Joanna Laghetto (781-338-3221 or ) or Lee DeLorenzo (781-338-3224 or firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Office of Charter Schools and School Redesign. Thank you in advance for your attention to this important matter. email@example.com
Last Updated: May 23, 2019