603 CMR 27.00:
Student Learning Time
- 27.01: Authority, Scope and Purpose
- 27.02: Definitions
- 27.03: School Year Requirements
- 27.04: Structured Learning Time Requirements
- 27.05: Early Release of High School Seniors
- 27.06: Waivers or Modifications
- 27.07: Implementation
- 27.08: Health and Safety Standards during a State of Emergency or Other Exigent Circumstances
- View All Sections
Most Recently Amended by the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education: February 23, 2021
27.06: Waivers or Modifications
(1) The Board may, upon the written application of a school committee and the recommendation of the Commissioner of Education, grant a waiver of any requirements set forth in 603 CMR 27.00 for good cause. School committees are encouraged to apply for waivers, as needed, to permit the district to initiate innovative programs or schedules intended to improve student learning.
(2) Upon the written request of a school district, the Commissioner of Education may, in his discretion, grant a waiver of the minimum school year requirement set forth in 603 CMR 27.03(3) in situations where an emergency or extraordinary circumstance forces the closing of one or more of the district's schools.
(3) Upon a declaration by the Governor that an emergency exists which is detrimental to the public health, or upon a determination by the Board that exigent circumstances exist that adversely affect the ability of students to attend classes in a safe environment unless additional health and safety measures are put in place, the Commissioner may modify the minimum school year and structured learning time requirements set forth in 603 CMR 27.03 and 603 CMR 27.04.
(4) Upon the written request of a school district, the Commissioner may, in his discretion, grant a waiver of the requirements set forth in 603 CMR 27.08 (3)(a)(1) and 603 CMR 27.08 (3)(b)(5)–(6).
603 CMR 27.00: M.G.L. c. 69, s.1G; M.G.L. c. 69, s. 1B.
For an official copy of these regulations, please contact the State House Bookstore, at 617-727-2834 or visit Massachusetts State Bookstore.