Most Recently Amended by the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education: February 28, 2023
For candidates who hold a Massachusetts administrator license, see 603 CMR 7.15 (3). For candidates who were prepared outside Massachusetts see 603 CMR 7.09(6).
(1) Superintendent/Assistant Superintendent (Levels: All)
(2) School Principal/Assistant School Principal (Levels: PreK–8; 5–12)
(3) Supervisor/Director (Levels: Dependent on Prerequisite License)
(a) Validity. A Supervisor/Director license is required for individuals employed for one-half time or more as a director, department head, or curriculum specialist in the field and at the level of the prerequisite license(s).
(4) Special Education Administrator (Levels: All)
(5) School Business Administrator (Levels: All)
(6) Candidates from outside Massachusetts shall meet the following requirements:
(a) Passing score on the Communication and Literacy Skills test.
(b) For those with less than three years of experience in the role of the administrator license sought, demonstration of successful application of the Professional Standards for Administrative Leadership set forth in 603 CMR 7.10 through completion of a Performance Assessment for Initial License.
(c) Completion of the appropriate prerequisite experience and/or license set forth in 7.09 for the license sought.
(d) For Principals/Assistant Principals and Supervisor/Directors supervising or evaluating core academic teachers, possession of an SEI Administrator or SEI Teacher Endorsement.
(7) The Commissioner may waive the requirements listed in 603 CMR 7.09 (1) through (5), with the exception of a passing score on the Communication and Literacy Skills test, for candidates with significant leadership/managerial experience who meet the standards through both their experience and their formal education.
M.G.L. c. 69, § 1B; c. 69, §§ 1J and 1K, as amended by St. 2010; c. 12, § 3; c. 71, § 38G, as amended by St. 2022, c. 154, § 10; c. 71, 38G ½; c. 71A, § 10; c. 76, § 19.
Disclaimer: For an official copy of these regulations, please contact the State House Bookstore, at 617-727-2834 or visit Massachusetts State Bookstore.
Last Updated: March 7, 2023
Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
75 Pleasant Street, Malden, MA 02148-4906
Voice: (781) 338-3000
TTY: (800) 439-2370
Disclaimer: A reference in this website to any specific commercial products, processes, or services, or the use of any trade, firm, or corporation name is for the information and convenience of the public and does not constitute endorsement or recommendation by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.