Department of Elementary and Secondary Education Logo
Office of Educator Licensure

Transition Specialist Endorsement

In March 2012 the Legislature passed and the Governor signed into law Chapter 51 of the Acts of 2012, An Act Relative to Student with Disabilities in Post-Secondary Education, Employment, and Independent Living. The law directs the Board to establish a specialist teacher endorsement in transition services for special education teachers and rehabilitation counselors. On December 7th 2012, the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education promulgated regulations establishing the Transition Specialist Endorsement.

A transition specialist provides transition services to students with disabilities with Individualized Education Programs (IEPs). The endorsement provides recognition of a particular set of skills and knowledge in relation to transitioning to adult life for students with IEPs. An endorsement, in this case, is an optional form of recognition and does not result in a requirement that all individuals employed to provide transition services must seek and obtain such an endorsement. However, school districts have authority to establish additional requirements (beyond the licensure requirements) for their employees and they may choose to require candidates to hold or be eligible for such an endorsement.

Who May Get the Transition Specialist Endorsement?

Individuals with a minimum of 2 year experience under one of the following licenses:

  1. Educators who hold one of the following licenses at either the Initial or Professional level:
    • Teacher of Students with Moderate Disabilities (PreK-8; 5-12)
    • Teacher of Students with Severe Disabilities (All)
    • Teacher of the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing (All)
    • Teacher of the Visually Impaired (All)
    • School Guidance Counselor
    • School Social Worker/School Adjustment Counselor

  2. Applicants who hold a license as a Rehabilitation Counselor or certification as a Rehabilitation Counselor

Do I need this endorsement to be legally employed?

The transition specialist endorsement (like all endorsements but for Sheltered English Immersion) is a voluntary endorsement indicating that the educator has acquired specialized knowledge and skill in this area; however, school officials may require the endorsement or other qualifications for educators, in addition to basic licensure.

What are the paths to obtaining the Transition Specialist Endorsement?

  • You can locate course providers through the following directions once you are on the "Find a Preparation Program" page. First, for Select Field, choose Endorsements and then for the next Select Field, choose Transition Specialists. For Select Level, choose level depends on prereq license. For Select Program, choose Endorsement, then click on Search. The "Find a Preparation Program" page can be found at Ed Prep Programs page.

  • Complete a DESE approved course of study specific to providing transition services. The DESE approved course of study shall include a 150 hour field-based experience that includes providing transition services for transition-aged students with disabilities with IEPs, in collaboration with their families, community members, and other relevant professionals.

Is there a required field based component?

Yes, see pathway above.

To see specific requirement sets, please use the Licensure Requirements Tool

Do I have to renew this endorsement?

This endorsement is subject to renewal with 30 PDP's in the content area and a valid prerequisite license

How much does it cost to apply for the Transition Specialist Endorsement?

There is a $25.00 application fee for this endorsement, even if it is your first/only license/endorsement application.

Please note: The quickest and easiest way to apply for a Massachusetts license and/or endorsement is via our Educator Licensure And Renewal (ELAR) portal.

How much does it cost to apply for the Transition Specialist Endorsement?

Please note: First-time users of the ELAR portal will need to create a profile prior to submitting an electronic application via ELAR.

Last Updated: October 19, 2020

Contact Us

Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
135 Santilli Highway, Everett, MA 02149

Voice: (781) 338-3000
TTY: (800) 439-2370


Disclaimer: A reference in this website to any specific commercial products, processes, or services, or the use of any trade, firm, or corporation name is for the information and convenience of the public and does not constitute endorsement or recommendation by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.