Department of Elementary and Secondary Education Logo
Office of Educator Licensure

Vocational Technical Education

This page contains information for individuals who are interested in learning more about earning a Chapter 74 Vocational Technical Education license. For detailed information about a specific license, please use the Licensure Requirements Tool, the Chapter 74 Licensure Guides found at the bottom of this page or you may submit an application for the license to receive an official review.

For general information about vocational licensure, you may also wish to view the Overview of Vocational Educator Licenses Offered video included in the Massachusetts Educator Licensure Series.

Types of Vocational Educator Licenses Offered

Teaching Licenses:

The Vocational Technical Education Teacher licenses have two types, Preliminary and Professional. Either license makes an educator eligible to work in a career and vocational technical education setting in the state of Massachusetts; however, an educator must earn a Preliminary license before they can advance to a Professional license.

Preliminary Vocational Technical Teacher license — valid for 5 years of employment.

Requirements for a Preliminary Vocational Technical Teacher license:

  1. Depending on the field applied for, the license will require one of the following:
    1. Possession of a High School Diploma/GED equivalent
    2. Possession of an Associate degree in the subject matter knowledge and skills to be taught
    3. Possession of a Bachelor's degree in the subject matter knowledge and skills to be taught
  2. Documentation of the required years of employment experience in the field of the license. (Note that the required number of years will vary, depending on the licensure field applied for)
  3. For certain fields, possession of a state or national occupational license or certification is required
  4. Achieving a passing score on both the written and the performance vocational subject matter test
  5. Achieving a passing score on one of the following Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTELs):
    1. The Vocational Technical Literacy Skills Test (VTLST)
    2. The Communication and Literacy Skills Test

Professional Vocational Technical Teacher License — renewed every 5 calendar years

Career and vocational technical education teachers in possession of a Preliminary license, who wish to know where they stand in terms of the requirements for advancement, are encouraged to submit an application for the Professional license. This will prompt a review of the educator's file to see what requirements have been met.

Requirements to advance a Preliminary License to a Professional license:

  1. At least 3 years of employment under the corresponding and valid Preliminary Vocational Teacher license
  2. Completion of a school district-sponsored one-year induction program
  3. For licenses that require an occupational license or certification, you must maintain such a license/certification
  4. Completion of 18 college credits in vocational education courses approved by the Department
  5. One of the following:
    1. Possession of a Bachelor’s degree
    2. 18 academic college credits in academic coursework as follows: 3 credits in English, 3 credits in mathematics, 3 credits in science and 9 additional credits in English, math, science or coursework related to the vocational technical education subject
    3. Possession of a higher degree than the one required to obtain the corresponding license at the Preliminary stage
  6. Starting on July 1, 2021, obtaining the Sheltered English Immersion (SEI) Endorsement will be a requirement for the Professional license.

Administrator Licenses:

In order to begin work as an administrator in a vocational education setting, you must possess a Vocational Technical Administrator license. These licenses come in two types, Initial and Professional. An administrator must earn their Initial license before they are able to advance to the Professional stage.

Vocational Administrator licenses are offered for the following roles:

  1. Vocational Superintendent/Assistant Superintendent, 9–14
  2. Vocational Principal/Assistant Principal, 9–14
  3. Vocational Supervisor/Director, 9–14

A Cooperative Education Coordinator, 9–14, license is also issued, which allows an individual to oversee the Cooperative Education Program within a school.

For more information on requirements and pathways to earn any of these licenses please see the Licensure Requirements Tool, the Chapter 74 Guide for Vocational Technical Administrator and Cooperative Education Coordinator Licensure found at the bottom of this page or you may submit an application for the license to receive an official review.

How to Apply for a License Online

Individuals interested in applying for a teaching license may do so through our full-service licensing system, the Educator Licensure And Renewal (ELAR) system.

Forms / Templates



Last Updated: May 1, 2024

Link to ELAR

Contact Us

Office of Educator Licensure
135 Santilli Highway
Everett, MA 02149
Fax: 781-338-3391

Licensure Call Center: 781-338-6600
Hours: Monday–Friday 9am–1pm & 2pm–5pm.

Walk-in Welcome Center Service Counter
Hours: Monday–Friday
8:45am – 4:45pm
Located on the 3rd floor

Please be sure to bring a form of photo identification that includes your name (cannot be a photo copy) with you when visiting ESE.

Contact Us

Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
135 Santilli Highway, Everett, MA 02149

Voice: (781) 338-3000
TTY: (800) 439-2370


Disclaimer: A reference in this website to any specific commercial products, processes, or services, or the use of any trade, firm, or corporation name is for the information and convenience of the public and does not constitute endorsement or recommendation by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.