Office of Educator Licensure

Advancing, Extending, or Renewing a License

Below is a list of the most frequently asked questions related to advancing, extending, or renewing a license. Additional information, including how to advance, extend, or renew a license, can be found on our Advancing, Extending, or Renewing a License page.

May I extend my Initial license?
An Initial license may be extended one time only for an additional 5 years of employment if the educator has not yet satisfied the requirements necessary to advance to the Professional level license. An application for the Initial-Extension license must be submitted, along with a school or district employment letter verifying five years of employment under your license and a signed plan statement.

May I extend or re-apply for a Provisional license that has expired?
No. Educators are not able to extend or re-apply for the same Academic Provisional license.

Download Word Document
Licensure Renewal - Frequently Asked Questions

Last Updated: July 24, 2019

Contact Us

Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
75 Pleasant Street, Malden, MA 02148-4906

Voice: (781) 338-3000
TTY: (800) 439-2370


Disclaimer: A reference in this website to any specific commercial products, processes, or services, or the use of any trade, firm, or corporation name is for the information and convenience of the public and does not constitute endorsement or recommendation by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.