Under-18 Special Requirements
If you are 16 or 17 years of age, you cannot schedule any tests until an official Letter of Withdrawal from your last school attended has been approved by the Massachusetts High School Equivalency Team. The Letter of Withdrawal must conform to the following requirements:
- Be on school letterhead, including the address and phone number;
- Include your last date of attendance and your date of withdrawal;
- Have been issued from the office of the Principal/Headmaster or the Head of Guidance; and
- Be signed by the Principal/Headmaster or the Head of Guidance.
For Home School Students:
- A letter of non-attendance from the district of your residence (high school in your area); or
- A letter from your district superintendent giving you permission to home school.
Before you submit your Letter of Withdrawal to the HSE Team, you must create an account with the vendor for whichever test you have chosen to take, either the GED© or the HiSET ®.
To create a GED© account, go to GED®: Get Your GED.
To create a HiSET ® account, go to The HiSET Exam.
Then submit the Letter of Withdrawal to the HSE Team, along with the following information:
- Your first name and last name, exactly as they appear in your testing account;
- Your telephone number;
- Your email address; and
- Your ETS Identification Number (HiSET ® only)
You may submit your letter by email to HSET@doe.mass.edu .
You will be contacted via email by the HSE Team within three business days of the receipt of your letter and the required information.
Once you have received email approval of your Letter of Withdrawal, you will be able to go back into your account and schedule your tests.
Reference in this website to any specific commercial products, processes, or services, or the use of any trade, firm, or corporation name is for the information and convenience of the public, and does not constitute endorsement or recommendation by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE). Our office is not responsible for and does not in any way guarantee the accuracy of information in other sites accessible through links herein. DESE may supplement this list with other services and products that meet the specified criteria. For more information contact: Olympia.S.Stroud@mass.gov or 781-338-6625.
Last Updated: December 10, 2020