High School Equivalency (HSE) Testing Program

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How long are my scores valid for?

  1. Scores for HiSET® and GED® tests taken after January 1, 2014 are still valid and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. GED® non-passing scores prior to January 1, 2014 are no longer valid and the tester must start over.

Q: Where can I get a copy of my transcript?

  1. All High School Equivalency Transcripts may be found at this website: DiplomaSender.com

Q. I lost my credential. Can I get a replacement?

  1. For security purposes, Massachusetts policy does not allow us to duplicate credentials.

Q. Can I combine GED® and HiSET® scores?

  1. No — you must choose one or the other

Q. Can I take some HiSET® tests on paper and some tests on computer?

  1. Yes — you can combine paper and computer HiSET® tests.

Q. Are the tests available in any other languages?

  1. Both the GED® and HiSET® are available in Spanish.

Q. Can I combine English and Spanish Tests?

  1. No — If you start the test in one language you must take all the exams in that language.

Q. Is one test easier than the other?

  1. No — a side by side comparison is available at this link: HiSET ® / GED© Comparisons - High School Equivalency (HSE) Testing Program (doe.mass.edu). We suggest that candidates take both practice tests and decide which assessment they are most comfortable taking.

Q. I am under 18 years old- what do I need to do to register for the test?

  1. Directions for under 18 years old may be found at: Under-18 Special Requirements - High School Equivalency (HSE) Testing Program (doe.mass.edu)

Q. How do I register for and schedule an exam?

  1. You must create an account and register at the exam websites: The HiSET Exam; GED®: Get Your GED

Q. How can I find a program to help me prepare for the exam?

  1. You can call the Massachusetts Adult Literacy Hotline (The Massachusetts Adult Literacy Hotline: How we Can Help You! | SABES) at (800) 447-8844 for a program near you or review the ACLS Program Directory that lists free adult education programs at Adult Education Program Directory - Adult and Community Learning Services (ACLS) (doe.mass.edu)

Last Updated: December 6, 2021

Contact Us

Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
75 Pleasant Street, Malden, MA 02148-4906

Voice: (781) 338-3000
TTY: (800) 439-2370


Disclaimer: A reference in this website to any specific commercial products, processes, or services, or the use of any trade, firm, or corporation name is for the information and convenience of the public and does not constitute endorsement or recommendation by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.