About the Office of Educator Licensure
On behalf of our entire staff — as well as every student, school, and school district in Massachusetts, thank you for all that you do and for seeking out the Office of Educator Licensure. We very much look forward to assisting with all of your licensure needs here in our great Commonwealth!
Our Full-Service Website offers a wide-range of resources. ELAR — Educator Licensure And Renewal is our comprehensive online application system that provides customized access to your personal profile, a correspondence review section, and up-to-the-minute checks on the status of submitted applications.
The following information provides a quick snapshot of our current processing times. Last Updated 05/26/2021
Applications that were received and are on Ready to Review status as of the following date: 05/18/2021 are in queue and will be processed in the order in which they are received.
Please note that we are working expeditiously to decrease your wait time for a review. If you feel your application should have been reviewed based upon the above noted date, please contact the Licensure Call Center at 781-338-6600 (Monday–Friday from 9–1 and 2–5) to request that your application be expedited.
If your application status is not on Ready for Review, the Office of Educator Licensure is awaiting additional information/documentation (for example: MTEL test results, official copies of your transcripts, verification of employment, etc.) in support of your application. If you have received a licensure evaluation, all correspondence sent to you by the Office of Educator Licensure can be viewed in your Educator Licensure and Renewal (ELAR) account.
The quickest method of renewing your Professional license is through ELAR. You can submit both your application and payment electronically using the ELAR portal. Please note that submitting a paper/hardcopy application or paying by check can take a minimum of two weeks to process.
Please note that most documents can be uploaded directly into your ELAR account enabling your application to be processed more quickly. For more information on how to upload documents, please visit our Uploading Documents to Your ELAR Account Page.
The Office of Educator Licensure is currently scanning all documents received as of the following date: Approximately the week of May 24th, please note that due to the Coronavirus, mail processing will be delayed and may only be processed one day per week.
Processing Times For this Past week of: 05/17/2021
Calls Received: 1,112
% Answered: 94
Average Wait Time: 2 min. 05 sec.
Max Wait Time: 17 min. 34 sec.
Licensure Call Center staff are working hard to ensure you receive thorough, accurate answers to all your licensure questions. Recent feedback from surveys indicate we are making great strides towards that goal:
- Even during this challenging time they have managed to be within reason when it came to wait time.
- I had called several times with questions and everyone I spoke to was extremely pleasant and helpful, wait time was short, and the whole process through approval was incredibly efficient. Thanks so much!
- For the ELAR login as well as guidance on how to use / navigate the services offered within the ELAR portal, please visit our How to Use the ELAR portal webpage.
- For additional "How To" guides and supporting documentation/forms please visit our Academic PreK-12 Forms, Guidelines, and Licensure Regulations webpage.
- For answers to more in-depth applicant questions and concerns, you can visit our Licensure Welcome Center walk up counter, located at 75 Pleasant Street, Malden on the first floor of the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education's administrative building or you can call our Customer Service Call Center at 781-338-6600 (open Monday – Friday from 9–1 and 2–5).